05 August 2014

Planes, Trains and Automobiles

Did I mention that I hate to travel?  I love being in new places, but the process of packing and getting there is one of my least favorite things to do. Every airline having different rules doesn't help. We knew we would be taking a plane from the USA, but we also had to fly from Dublin to Paris. Then a train to Zurich and Budapest. And we rented cars here and there.

The acceptable size for carry-on luggage in Europe is 21.75 x 15.75 x 8 inches. EIGHT INCHES! Sheesh. I finally found an appropriate piece at Kohl's -- a Samsonite Wheeled Boarding Bag 13"H x 17"W x 8"D -- a little smaller than necessary but it worked just fine. We found all sorts of gadgets to help shrink the size of the luggage. I used packing cubes and the Eagle Creek Pack-it folder. Melissa used compression bags.

My purse or camera bag had to be less than 13 x 9.84 x 7.87 inches. I skipped the purse and used a travel vest instead.  Everything had wheels, except my "electronics bag" which was actually a cooler disguised as a camera bag. The cooler doubled as a real cooler when we traveled by car. (I liked it so much, I'm still using it and have already purchased a second one at Walmart.) I found this lovely Travelon Bag Bungee at Amazon.com and it tied everything together nicely.

For the plane we both had a Travelrest "Ultimate Inflatable Travel Pillow." If you are on the fence about these, all I can say is they really worked well for both of us. I probably wouldn't bother for a short plane ride, but crossing the pond was much more comfortable. I actually slept most of the way and woke in Dublin relaxed, refreshed and ready to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome but they are moderated so please be patient.